The excitement of owning the latest Nokia smartphone can be overshadowed by the shock of having it stolen or damaged. The shock, though can be lessened to a certain extent by having it covered by insurance. Last month Nokia announced the launch of a special insurance plan for owners of its hand sets. This plan has been introduced in collaboration with reputed insurance company New India Assurance.
Nokia Handset Insurance Plan Requirements and Features
1. You should have bought the Nokia hand set only from an authorized Nokia branded retail store.
2. The insurance plan is available in India in the cities of Delhi, National Capital Region (NCR), Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin, Bengaluru, Jaipur, Ahmedabad and Hyderabad.
3. What is included & what is excluded
4. The cost of the insurance plan is 1.25% of the value of your handset.
5. Deductions are as follows:
(1) 10% deduction if loss happens within 3 months of taking the insurance
(2) 25% deduction if loss happens within 3 to 6 months of taking the insurance
(3) 50% deduction if loss happens within 6 months to 1 year
As you can see, the insurance plan only covers a one year period. Based on the response of their customers, Nokia may later extend this period.
How to get an insurance certificate for Nokia handset
Step 1: Visit the Nokia branded retail store.
Step 2: Provide a few personal details
Step 3: Get your payment receipt and insurance certificate at the same store.
How to file an insurance claim for Nokia handset
Step 1: You must report the loss of SIM to your mobile Network service provider & get acknowledgement.
Step 2: It is very important that you contact the company within 48 hours of loss.
Step 3: To get your claim processed by the New India Assurance Company, you have to contact the call center which is managed by the official brokers. They will be the one who will help to get the plan administered. As a Nokia consumer, you can avail of the additional value-added services (see below) at an additional fee of Rs. 50/-. This fee is a fixed one & is not dependent on the cost of your Nokia handset.
Note: A First Information Report (FIR) will not be compulsory for a claim.
Additional services offered
1. If you are residing in the cities of Delhi, NCR, Bengaluru, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai or Hyderabad, you can avail the facility of free pick up of your handset. This pick up will be within a time frame of 24 hours on the call being registered. Similarly, you can avail of free drop off of your handset in the case of damage. You can also have free drop off of relevant documents in case of loss or theft of you handset.
2. You can get your insurance claim processed at your nearest authorized service center through the unique cashless service. You simply have to submit your damaged Nokia handset. The damage will be assessed and if it indeed is covered by the insurance plan as per the conditions stated, then your hand set will be repaired. It will then be delivered in person to you at the address which you have provided.
3. While your insurance claim is being processed and your device is checked, you will be given a standby handset along with a charger. You will thus continue to be connected with the world with a Nokia hand set. Cool!
Benefits & disadvantages of taking Nokia handset insurance
When you look at all that is covered by the insurance plan offered by Nokia for its consumers, you will happily realize that these are the very aspects which are generally passed over by the warranty for the handset.
On the downside, Nokia makes it very clear that you need to have bought the handset at its branded retail store (they have a chain of Nokia Priority Stores in India). Now this automatically excludes a large majority of Nokia handset buyers.
First off are those of us who go to a local shop which sells Samsung, HTC, apart from all Blackberry phones, this phone doesn't contain the dedicated BBM button. The phone comes with dimensions of 130 x 65.6 x 9 mm and weighs 135 gm. Blackberry, Apple and other branded smartphones under one roof. We do this because we like to compare at one place the various brands of phones.
Then there are a small but nonetheless significant percentage of us who prefer to just snap up a smart deal online. Why? - simply because we prefer to buy the smartphone at a lesser price than what it costs in the retail store.
All of us who fall in these 2 categories are thus eliminated for the Nokia handset insurance claim. What then, happens to loyalty to the brand of Nokia? Nokia needs to change this aspect in its insurance plan pronto!
Complete information on Nokia handset insurance plans will hopefully be updated soon at their official website: http://www.nokia.com/in-en/nokiainsurance/
Vandana is a freelance content writer with over 15 years experience in this field. As Managing Editor of reputed education portal IndiaStudyChannel.com, she has plenty of responsibilities but nevertheless finds time to indulge in her favourite past-time, namely writing! Hence she has her own blogs to follow her writing passion while here at Techulator.com she writes mainly about gadgets, smart devices and apps.
Follow Vandana or read 38 articles authored by Vandana
More articles: Mobile Phone Insurance