Developing Android app using Redhat Linux | Android SDK and Eclipse SDK for Linux
Want tutorials for developing Android app using Redhat OS? Here I have given details about downloading and installing the tools for developing Android app. Read the article below to get step by step procedure to create Android app using Linux environment.
Android tools for Redhat
For developing an Android application you need a Android SDK and Eclipse Juno IDE for Redhat OS. These two tools are enough. I found it very hard to set it up in my PC running RHEL 6 OS. You need to download two software packages first. You can download it from the below link.
Android SDK - Don't download "Android SDK ADT bundle" because it will be in ZIP format and you have to download separate package for extracting ZIP file. Instead SDK download from another link under "USE AN EXISTING IDE".
Eclipse IDE - You can download it either using Bit-torrent or direct download. Your file will be downloaded as "eclipse java juno SR1 linux gtk".
After downloading these two packages just extract it. Now you have to install a Android plugin in Eclipse IDE.
Steps for installing Android plugin in Eclipse IDE
(1) Open Eclipse folder.
(2) Double click on Eclipse icon and now Eclipse IDE will be running.
(3) Open Help → Install New Software. Then click Add button available on the right side of top.
(4) Now a dialog box will appear there enter the Name as ADT Plugin.
(5) Enter the Location as https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ and click OK.
(6) Then click Next for all the other dialog boxes.
(7) After the download is completed restart your Eclipse package.
Steps for Android SDK setup
(1) Open the extracted Android SDK.
(2) Then open the Tools folder
(3) There you can see a file named as Android. Double click the Andriod file and click Run.
(4) Now download any "Android SDK Platform-tools". For example just tick "Android 4.2(API 17). Then press "install packages" available in left side bottom.
(5) It will take upto 1hr to download.
Now you have completed installing all the software required to develop an Andoird app in Redhat OS. Now you can start your training from the Android developers official site.
Tutorials for developer tools in Android developers official site will be confusing. There they have showed much importance to Ubuntu OS. There will be many options for setting up your developer tool. All those tutorials won't work in Redhad Linux. Some files are archived with ZIP format and that files need extra package to extract. I searched many packages for unzipping the ZIP files but they went vain. There are many alternative IDE for developing IDE. IntelliJ IDEA 12 recently released a free IDE version for Android app developing. Many reviewed that Eclipse is the best IDE for developing Android app.
This is very inspiring, as getting from the start & Having no real background in programming (aside from making some adventures on ZX-81 and MSX), this does sound like I could get started on developing something for my own Android based eBook reader and android app development training even this online course seems to be interesting http://www.wiziq.com/course/13599-professional-android-app-development-training-1-on-1-sessions. Has anyone tried any online courses so far. Please do provide a light on this also.
Thankyou for all the info also.