We are all familiar with the word ‘Wi-Fi'. But how many of us do know what is Wi-Fi? How does it actually work? Actually WiFi means Wireless Fidelity, which is a trademark of WiFi Alliance and belongs to Wireless Local Area Wetwork(WLAN) devices based on the IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/h/n standards. These a/b/g/h/n represent the speed at which the data is tranfered. Now a days 802.11 g and 802.11 n wireless networking are mostly used WLAN technology.
In 802.11 g standard WiFi technology transfers data between the computer and device at up to 50 MB/Second. The speed of 802.11n standard WiFi technology is quite better, up to 150 MB/Sec. So whenever you are going to buy a computer or mobile phone which is WiFi technology enabled, make sure that it must support 802.11n. The IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) actually developed the WiFi technology for wireless network communication.
How does it work
WiFi provides you to get broadband connection wirelessly and to connect several numbers of computers at once anywhere in your home; even if you are in your garden with your laptop. You need not to take any cable or wire with your phone or computer devices. It provides a small wireless network zone in your home or office to get broadband internet connection and the access point has a range of 65 ft.
If you wish to use WiFi technology, you first need a wireless transmitter WAP (Wireless Access Point) and a WiFi adapter on every computer device that uses WiFi. Nowadays, you can get a modem, router and wireless transmitter from the internet service providers and the broadband cable is connected to the router. Also you need an adapter if your computer device is not equipped with WiFi.
Using WiFi, you can make all international calls and video chat for absolutely free from your computer and mobile phones. You can also keep all your devices in synchronous and play music to powered speakers from your computers or smartphones; print or many more without any cable or wire.
Necessary Precautions to take
To keep protect and secure your WiFi router, you should have take some necessary precautions-
1. Keep protect your password of your wireless router. If your password remains unprotect then anyone can get online if he/she is in that area and downloads large size of files or illegal works using your internet connection.
2. The default username and password are both 'admin' of your router. You should change this administrative password with your own strong password.
3. You should change your Service Set Identifier (SSID) which is the name of your wireless networks to which all the device on your network connects.
4. Turn on wireless encryption with WiFi Protected Access (WPA) and WiFi Protected Access 2 (WPA 2).
5. Don't use WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) encryption because it can be easily cracked.
More articles: Latest Tech News