You are about to install a blog. It may be your first blog or is it the second, third or even the tenth. It may be your own blog or you are setting up a blog for a client. But what are steps or functions to perform to optimize the WordPress blog after installation? Follow the guide to discover the steps after setting up a WordPress for your blog, to be effective and optimized.
Just before installation
Just before the installation you will get a page named "Necessary Information". Fill it correctly from the beginning, including choosing a username other than admin (your username, first name, your client's name, etc) and also the final title of your site and a complex password and finally the main email address of your blog.
It is advised that as your blog is being developed, uncheck the option "Allow my site to appear in search engines like Google and Technorati". This prevents Google from indexing your site "by mistake" which is not ready yet.
Steps to update the basic configuration
- First go to "Settings --> General" and change the default slogan "Just another WordPress weblog" by describing your own site. Depending on the theme you use, you will have it short or you can write a longer sentence.
- For now leave the box "Anyone can register" unchecked because normally your blog has no adequate recognition to accept guest items. Of course, if you want to use WordPress as a book or a website release, check this box.
- Then choose from the menu "the Contributor role" (recommended, this allows you to read the articles before publishing) or the Author role (more dangerous because authors can automatically publish their articles against it by giving you less work).
- Next, clearly define your time zone.
- Then go to the tab "Scripture" where you can change the size of the input field items (recommend size is 30 or 40).
- Then go to the tab "Playback" where you can choose the view you want for your blog or blog format with the latest articles or a static page on which you will put more information important to your site.
- Finally, in the "For each article in a feed, provide" select "Extract" .
- In the tab "Discussion" check the first three boxes and leave the other boxes as they are. Below that you can choose the type of avatar to be associated with unknown commentators.
- Next comes the tab "Media" . Here you will normally have nothing to change. Remember, when you have finished configuring your blog, your theme is chosen, and everything is ready, check the option "I want my site to be visible to everyone, including search engines (Google, Bing, Technorati) and archivers" for your blog to be well visited by Google.
- Last is the tab "Permalinks" . Here select "Custom Structure" and paste in this code: "/% postname% /" This will allow you to have readable and optimized SEO links.
These are the first steps you have to carry out in order to have a WordPress blog ready to use.
Read How to improve your blog without plugins