Prerequisites for claiming car insurance are:
- Your full name and policy number.
- Start and end date of your policy.
- Date and time of the incident.
- Name, address, and phone numbers of all drivers, passengers, and witnesses.
- Driver's license and license plate numbers for all drivers.
How to file an insurance claim:
- Report to your insurer immediately about the damage/accident.
- Company employee will come to check the damage and approve the claim.
- Company will then settle the bill directly with your cashless garage or reimburse you.
Should you claim insurance for minor accident/ Little damage:
Most car insurance policies specify an amount called 'deductible' or 'excess' which is the portion of any claim amount that the insured will have to compulsorily bear himself/herself. In case of a claim, only the balance after subtracting the 'deductible' amount is payable subject to other deductions such as depreciation etc. Thus, it is pointless to claim small amounts which are close to or less than the 'deductible' amount specified in your car insurance policy as you would gain very little or nothing.