Yes, the information you have gathered is right. Facebook Messneger has recently launched the group calling on its video calling feature.
You can use the feature to have a simultaneous video call with as many as six members from a group(that was what was stated initially - there have been a few changes recently. More on that later). Follow the simple steps to achieve this-
- Tap on the phone icon.
- Add the group members with whom you would wish to have a group video call.
- All of the recipients will get the call on their phones simultaneously.
If, for any reason, you missed the call, you can tap on the phone icon to join the chat. You can check who is on the call while you are on the video call and choose to ping the one who has not yet joined in.
Group video chat had been launched with the faces of six participants showing up on your screen. However, the latest update has indicated that you can add as many as 50 participants to your group video chat. You can do it as explained here below -
- Launch Facebook Messenger.
- Open a group conversation already on, or create a new one.
- Add all the participants you want, and hit the call icon at the upper right corner. Every member you have chosen will get the notification for the call.
- The participants can join the call at their convenience.
If there are more than six participants in a chat, your screen will show up only the dominant participants.
The iOS app also has a animated masks that SnapChat offers its users. Facebook has stated that this feature is experimental for now, and will be available on Android soon.