Some of the good data recovery software are -
1. Recuva -It is the best data recovery software available. Easy to use and with many advanced features as well. Recuva can recover files from hard drives, external drives (USB drives, etc.), BD/DVD/CD discs, and memory cards. All windows versions are supported.
2. PURAN file recovery- This is one of the better options for the file recovery. It can even recover lost partitions..
3.Disk Drill - It is very simple in design. The website states that it can recover practically any data. It has advanced features like partition recovery, stop/resume scan, backing up an entire drive etc.
4. Pandora recovery- It is a simple data recovery tool with many advanced features. "Surface scan" is one of them which recovers more files than a standard search. It supports most of the windows versions.
5. Wise data recovery - It is one of the quickest performing tool. It has an instant search function that helps search and undelete files quite quickly. It also has a recoverability option that lists the likelihood of a file getting recovered- as Good, Poor, Very Poor and Lost.
6. Restoration - This one is very simple in recovering files. It is too small in size and does not need to be installed on your hard drive. It can be run from floppy disk or USB drive. Moreover it has no complicated recovery procedure.
A suggestion though - does it not seem better to shift this query to AE section?
Live....and Let Live!