ExploreZip is a type of worm which contains a malicious payload. It utilizes Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express or exchange to reply unread emails in your mail Inbox automatically. The another characteristic of this worm is that it also searches mapped drives as well as networked computers. If found, it copies itself to the \Windows folder of the remote computer and then modifies the Win.ini file of the infected computer. It destroys all the files having extension of .h, .c, .cpp, .asm, .doc, .ppt, or .xls on the infected computer as well as any network computer during its execution. It affects Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows 2000.
To remove this virus manually, please follow the steps:
A. In case if you are using Windows 95 or 98 OS:
1. First open the Win.ini file in a text editor like System Configuration Editor (Sysedit.exe)
2. Now remove the command C:\Windows\System\Explore.exe or C:\Windows\System\_Setup.exe from the run= line
3. Need to restart your computer
4. Now delete the Explore.exe from the C:\Windows\System folder
B. In case if you are using Windows NT:
1. First start the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
2. You need to navigate the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Run and remove the entry "Explore.exe" or _setup.exe."
3. Now restart your computer
4. You will have to delete Explore.exe from the C:\Winnt\System32 folder.
With Best Regards,