Accepting guest posts on your website can add valueable content which will add value and traffic to your blog if they are done correctly and carefully. Here are some tips to accept guest post without affecting the search engine ranking of your blog:
1. Carefully review the guest posts and make sure they maintain high quality.
2. Do not allow small posts. Ask the guest bloggers to write quality articles with minimum 600 words. That way, you are getting some useful content when you allow them to link to their website and take away some of your SEO advantages.
3. Do not allow posts that are not relevant to your niche. If your blog is about Laptops, then allow only articles related to laptops. This can help you add value to your website and get more useful content.
4. Do not allow guest posts to link to sites not relevant to your site. If your website is about laptops and the guest posts link to an Automobile website, search engines may consider it as suspicious linking. By linking to good and useful sites, your readers may get benefited. It is also a disadvantage because your readers may discover sites that are better than yours and may leave your site for other sites!
5. Do not allow too many links. It is better to limit the number of links in guest posts to just 1 link. Most guest articles require atleast 2 links and it seem to be an accepted practice to allow 2 links. If you have an option, try to limit the backlinks from the guest posts to just 1 link. In any case, never allow more than 2 links from any posts.
6. Implement the links from the guest posts well blended inside the content and NOT from the author section. It will make it look natural. By enforcing the guest authors to use links within the content, you have higher chances of getting links relevant to the content. If you allow links from the author bio, search engines will easily detect that is a promotional post and when it go beyond the limits, both parties will get penalised.
7. Do not allow too many guest posts. By having too many guest posts in your blog, you will end up having too many links from your website to other websites. This will cause lot of SEO disadvantages for your blog. You will have high bounce rate since most of your readers will go away by clicking on those links. Your internal links will have less value since your Page Rank will be split among all those external links.
8. Google and other search engines like websites that have more incoming links and less outgoing links. If your blog have too many links to other sites and you have less links pointing to your blog from other sites, you may land in to SEO problems.
9. Avoid highly optimized keyword anchor text in the guest posts. Such over optimization will be a signal to search engines that it is not an organic link.
10. Avoid accepting guest posts from unknown people. Most of the strangers who offer "lot of quality articles" are just the article sellers or SEO professionals who mass produce articles for link building. It is better you accept articles from people who you know and are reliable. There are lot of genuine bloggers who will spend their value time to write genuine guest articles. Try to find such genuine guest authors from your blogger communities like Techism .
Typically, you should not have external links in more than 20% of your blog posts. This means, you should limit the guest posts in your blog to less than 10-20% of the total posts to avoid the disadvantages of accepting guest posts and how guest posting affects search engine ranking.
|Author: AkashArora 22 May 2012||Member Level: Bronze Points : 0|
|Thank You For sharing this Useful Article. Well all above tips are useful before considering Guest Posts on a blog but I specially Like your 7th Tip.|
|Author: Latha Lukose 29 Jun 2012||Member Level: Gold Points : 1|
This article is bang on target. Guest posts are a fool proof method to establish credibility, generate links and get new leads if you are looking to get traffic to your blog.
If you are a blog owner you can post on other websites and generate backlinks.
Thanks much for this wonderful post.
|Author: Manu Murali 02 Jul 2012||Member Level: Diamond Points : 0|
very useful post. Just keep up the good work.
|Guest Author: Neha 03 Jul 2012|
|This article on do's and don'ts on guest post or comment is worth to read and practice for blog success. Great!|