Resources » Programming & Development » Other Microsoft Software
Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7
Attack Surface Analyzer is the same tool which is used by Microsoft to let them know what are the changes made by the installation of a new software. It is just like cataloging those changes and being ready for any risk. Now it is available for Windows 7 to the public.
Often, after the installation of new software in your computer which runs Windows (it however, happens in all computers), there are some changes made to the operating system. Generally these changes are not harmful but sometimes this can lead to a condition where your system won't be performing very well. You need to stay focussed to know whether your computer is safe or things are at stake.
As you can expect, the Microsoft engineers while doing their experiments and development, they use a tool which helps them catalogue the changes made to their Windows computers after they install new software. This article is all about that.
What is Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7
Windows 7 is an operating system for which you will find various threats even when the Microsoft engineers regularly (might) try to keep it all safe. But then also, there are threats which are very tough to be brought to a grinding halt. They are like inevitable.
At this moment, Microsoft brings for you the same tool they use for cataloguing the changes that are made to their own computers while they install new software. It is called the Attack Surface Analyzer. It takes a snapshot of the status of the computer after and before too, and helps you see the changes made to your computer, made to a number of elements of the attack surface of the Windows operating system you use.
System Requirements of Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7
Following are the system requirements of the Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7.
1. For the collection of Attack surface data – Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R1 or R2
2. For Analysis of Attack surface data and for generation of report – Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 with .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1
Benefits of Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7
There are a lot of benefits of using Attack Surface Analyzer in Windows 7. Some of them are –
1. It allows developers to see the changes made to the attack surface of the operating system by the introduction of any code on the operating system, that is Windows 7 or any other.
2. It also allows IT Security auditors to analyse and evaluate whether there is any risk of any installation made to the Windows platform on the time of threat risk reviews
3. Also, it allows the professionals in the IT field to assess and cumulate the changes of Attack surface by deployment of applications on Windows platform.
4. Also, IT SIRs (Security Incident Responders) can with the help of Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows, better understand the state of the systems while they investigate.
How to run Attack Surface Analyser on Windows 7
To run Attack Surface Analyzer on Windows 7, following are the steps that need to be followed –
1. First of all, we need to download the Attack Surface Analyzer and then install it on a newly built copy of Windows 7 Professional edition.
2. To run the Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7, you need to have the administrative power of the computer. This is very much necessary. So, if you are not an administrator, request the administrator to do the following steps.
3. You can, after the installation of Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7, run it from the start menu of the Windows 7 operating system.
4. As you do this, the Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7 will first of all take a snapshot of your computer in the current status and then store the information it gets by taking the snapshot in Microsoft CAB file. This type of scan is called baseline scan with the Attack Surface Analyzer.
5. Now, try to install a new application or product.
6. Enable as many options in your new application as possible.
7. Be sure to include the options about which you doubt, will create some risk on the machine, on the Attack surface of the computer.
8. After that, you need to once again perform a baseline scan.
Now you can analyse the changes that have been made to your computer by the installation of the new product or the new application on your Windows 7 computer. This will help you to understand whether there are any risks on your computer or is it all safe.
How to analyse the results with Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7
Following are the steps that need to be followed for the analysing the changes that have been made to your computer after the installation of the new product or the new application –
1. First of all, run the Attack Surface Analyzer from Windows 7 Start menue.
2. Select the "Generate Report" work and then specify the files of your baseline product scan.
3. Attack Surface Analyzer will inspect the CAB files and will identify the changes.
4. You can now review the report and see whether there is any risk to your computer or not.
If you find any risk, try to make it correct. Ensure that your system is safe.
Download Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7
If you want to download Attack Surface Analyser for Windows 7 you can download it by going on this page. The Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7 is available in both the versions, the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version.
Stay safe with Attack Surface Analyzer for Windows 7
Read related articles: Security Windows 7
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
|Author: Gyandeep Kaushal 04 Feb 2011||Member Level: Diamond Points : 1|
|You may like to see page as well.|
|Guest Author: Mike 28 Apr 2014|
|Download link for Surface Analyzer is broken.|
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...