Product Key issue while installing Windows XP
Generally we face issues with the Product Key while installing an Operating System. I would like to introduce you with the different ways of resolving the issue which is encountered while installing Windows XP.
The following error message is thrown sometimes due to various reasons when you try installing Windows XP :
"The CD Key which you entered is invalid. Please try again"
As said, there are various reasons and hence various solutions for this issue. Lets discuss them in detail.
Reenter the product Key
Sometimes there is a chance of overlook which is natural human tendency which can lead to the error. Also using the numeric key pad in place of general number keys can also be the reason.
Below are the steps for resolution one.
1. When prompted for put in the correct product key.
2. Click OK.
3. If the above error message is encountered retype the product key again, type the correct product key again by using the number keys on the keyboard instead of using the numeric keypad, and then click OK.
Is the issue still being encountered? Go to the second method.
Disable the anti virus on your system
There are chances that the above message is thrown when you are having an anti virus software active on your system.
Below are the steps for resolution two.
1. Disable the anti virus software.
2. Disable the anti virus settings in the BIOS settings.
Is the issue still being encountered? Go to the third method.
Scan the installation CD and the hard disk manually
Sometimes the reason for the above mentioned error message might also be the physical damage to the installation CD or the hard disk.
Below are the steps for resolution three.
1. Scan the installation CD manually to identify the scratches or cracks if any.
2. If any damages are found then it indicates that the CD needs to be replaced for the installation to continue.
3. If there are no physical damages to the CD, then scan the hard disk manually to identify the scratches or cracks if any.
4. If any damages are found then it indicates that the CD needs to be replaced for the installation to continue.
Is the issue still being encountered? Go to the fourth method.
Check for the system date
If the system date is not set properly, then also the above error message is encountered.
Below are the steps for resolution four.
1. Check if the system date has been set in the CMOS settings.
Is the issue still being encountered? Go to the fifth method.
Check for the additional enabled drivers on the system
If using multiboot feature or upgrading existing OS then there are chances that some programs using drivers are active on the system which can be the root of the problem.
Below are the steps for resolution five.
1. Delete all the extra drivers and related applications/programs.
2. Restart Installation.
Is the issue still being encountered? Go to the sixth method.
Use command prompt installation method
If the error is encountered while using multiboot or upgrading then follow the below steps.
Below are the steps for resolution six.
1.Restart Windows in MS-DOS mode.
2. Male a not of the drive which contains the installation CD. For example say E drive.
2. Type E:\setup.exe at the cmd prompt and enter.
Is the issue still being encountered? Go to the seventh method.
Copy and paste the installation files to hard disk
If all the above steps have failed and you have reached to this step, you can be assured that it would work as this is the last resolution method.
Below are the steps for resolution seven.
1. Go to Start.
2. Click on run and type cmd and press enter.
3. Type cd\ at the command prompt and enter.
4. Type md windowscd and press enter.
4. Type xcopy E:\*.* windowscd /V and press enter. (E: is mentioned as per the example in the sixth method above).
5. All the installation files are copied to windowscd folder that has been created.
5. Type cd windowscd and press enter.
6. Type setup.exe and press enter.
If still the problem persists, then either you might be having a wrong CD or a illegal copy whose key is just written manually on the CD. :)
Avoid Piracy and use genuine softwares.
More articles: DVD Burning Software