What is Ripping a CD/DVD?
Ripping is the process of copying media files e.g., music, from a CD or DVD to Computer's Hard-disk. Ripping a song is different than directly copying it. In Ripping, you are copying the music files from a CD/DVD and then converting them to a file format supported by computer. The most popular file format for ripping a music file is MP3.
CDex is a free open-source digital audio CD extractor. You can use it to rip songs from audio CDs to your computer as digital audio files. CDex allows WAV file extraction or digital audio file encoding using a compatible audio encoder such as Lame MP3 Encoder, Internal MP2 Encoder and Ogg Vorbis MP3 encoder. CDex is also compatible with ID3 audio tags, CD-Text, M3U and PLS playlist files.
CDex features automatic jitter correction, audio signal normalization, and a track-progress meter. CDex is recommended for users who are familiar with digital audio files and plan to rip audio CDs to their computer for use in digital music collections and media player libraries.
Cons & Limitations of CDex
- CDex is a very good ripping tool, but sometimes the output mp3 file may contain codec errors.
- CDex is a little buggy program. Sometimes it quits itself while processing a CD/DVD disk.
- Its processing speed is a little slower as compared to the programs listed below.
Get it from : http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
FreeRIP is a CD to MP3 converter that may be used to extract audio songs from your audio CDs to your computer as MP3, WAV, WMA and FLAC file types. FreeRIP allows you to extract multiple songs to a single audio file, extract specific frames from an audio CD, convert audio files to various formats once they are copied to your computer, and store CD-text from audio CDs to your computer.
FreeRIP supports several languages and is compatible with M3U, PLS, B4S and HTML playlist files. FreeRIP is recommended for novice computer users who desire a CD ripping program that features a user-friendly interface and basic features for free.
Cons & Limitation of FreeRIP
- It will install an annoying toolbar into your web browser. But you can uncheck the toolbar option while installing FreeRIP. Some Antivirus may detect this toolbar as Malware.
- Although its free version works fine, but the paid version of FreeRIP has 2-3 extra features which are disabled in free version.
- This software can't RIP video CD/DVD disks. Also, it supports very less file formats.
Get it from : http://www.freerip.com/features.php
Eusing Free CD to MP3 Converter Review
Eusing's Free CD to MP3 Converter may be used to rip audio CDs to your computer in MP3, WAV, OGG and WMA file types. Eusing's Free CD to MP3 Converter automatically retrieves audio tags and CD-Text from audio CDs during the ripping process. This program allows you to record input from your computer's microphone and save the recordings as WAV or MP3 files.
Eusing's Free CD to MP3 Converter is especially designed for use with Windows Media Player and RealOne Player, however, the program is also able to convert audio CDs into files for use with a wide-variety of multimedia applications. This program is recommended for users who seek a program with an easy-to-use interface and basic features enabling quick and simple audio CD ripping.
Cons & Limitations of Eusing Free CD to MP3
- Since this is a Donationware program, it asks for a donation on every startup. This is very annoying.
- There is no inbuilt button to directly open the destination folder of the output file. You need to go manually to the output folder. Just a waste of time.
- It slows down my PC while Ripping a scratched disk. But that's not a fault of this program.
Get it from: http://www.eusing.com/CDRipper/CDRipper.htm#.VMoDmF2t-o8
These CD ripping programs are designed for use with non-copyrighted audio files and may not be compatible with digitally-protected audio CDs. Please use these programs in compliance with all federal law in regards to copyrighted materials. It is also recommended that you take time to read the Terms of Service (TOS) included with each of these CD rippers before downloading or using the software.
Read DVDFab DVD Ripper Software Review - Rip DVD to other or same format
More articles: DVD Ripper Software
I was very much looking forward to something like this. I have a bunch of MP3 disc that are getting damaged and I wish to copy at least some files from those CD to my PC. Can these programmes help in copying files from CD to PC?