Well, the issue is one of the most important and relevant one in the current days. Few months back, there was a strike in Hyderabad from the Municipal workers and they made the city a hell over a stretch of a month. I was guessing and anticipating an epidemic and it happened, we all went sick.
It is the basic insincere attitude of we Indians that only and only technology can handle. Few things which make the Indian citizens work are "fear", "insecurity" and "public stigma". Technology can address all these by making things "public", by making things "automatically punishing" and spreading the sense of insecurity through these means.
Apart from these, I have a few ideas to go easy with this issue:
1. Normal citizens can be given an app where they can directly post a complaint to the Municipality if the garbage bin in their locality is not cleaned.
2. The Municipal workers can use another app where they can send a list to their office about the houses or apartments who are not following the waste management rules.
3. Nowadays, in Kolkata they are using a high tech machinery to process the garbage, which can be installed in all the cities and localities of India which can ease the process.
4. The complaints should be automatically supported by some penalty or punishment like, the particular workers who are assigned to clean a particular area should face a cut in their salaries if they don't attend to their duties.
5. Some fine system should be at place if a citizen litters around or don't follow the cleaning rules.
6. And all these can be done through the help of some automatic attendance register and CCTV cameras.
Please share your opinions and views on this.