You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Contests & Award Programs

Group Discussion competition 2: iOS vs Android, Last Date : 20-JULY-2013

Techulator is announcing the second group discussion competition on the topic iOS vs Android.

TEC expects a healthy group discussion from here and the most valuable discussion/critic(s) will be rewarded.

Rules of the Group Discussion Competition are:
  • There should be a minimum of 5 sentences for each post. Basically, 5 sentences should be related to the topic, "iOS vs Android".
  • The winner will get an award of Rs 100.00.
  • Note that if the winner is a good critic and the responses were met with case study and live examples, the winner will be additionally awarded with 50 points.
  • 2 runner-ups will be awarded with high end gifts from the virtual gift shop of TEC.

• The competition ends on 20-JULY-2013. So don't waste anymore time - Start posting in this thread.
    It has been noticed that the iOS for Apple iPhone is compared with other various versions of Android time to time. iOS is the sole operating system for Apple iPhone developed by Apple Inc. The iOS is developed and upgraded to many versions till date including latest iOS7. On the other hand the Android from Google has also released many versions including Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. No doubt Android is a bigger competitor for Apple iOS. But please note that as per latest data came out recently, Most of the iOS users, that is 93% of them are using the latest version of iOS where as only 33% of Android users are running the latest version of Android. What does the argument mean?

Though Apple iPhone is costlier than other average Android phone from different companies, but Apple iOS users are always on the top by getting updated with their latest iOS. Both of them are the best at their level. Apple iOS has various featured apps like Evernote, Dragon Dictation, Swype, Photoshop Express, Instagram etc. whereas Android is having apps like Winamp, Shazam, Dropbox, Launcher Pro, Amazon Kindle etc. But having said, Apple always tries to give unique user experience through the brand Apple.

With Best Regards,

Kokil

I am an Android smartphone user and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience so far. The best thing about Android is that it offers several wonderful apps for free, whereas iOS charges minimal fees for several basic apps. So, iOS users have no option but to spend money for several apps which Android users enjoy for free.

The games offered by Android phones are more user-friendly and easy to understand. Even the security apps offered by Android are almost comparable to iOS security apps. So, all advantages offered by iOS earlier have now been nullified by all the latest offerings from Android. For cost-effectiveness and user-friendliness alone, I prefer Android over iOS.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

We should not forget that nowadays Apple iPhone comes with in building free apps. If we have a look at the most user friendly and common apps, all are coming freely installed with the iPhone. One can go through the such apps of iPhone by visiting the article Apple iPhone - the review of new apps for 2013
    With Best Regards,

Kokil

Thank you Sharma , Bhakti for providing important information about iOS vs Android.
    There are lots of compare the two iOS and Android platforms which are explained on this discussion. We now know that Android users are more than iOS users we also know who is more likely to prefer intereste on Android. iOS does not have true multi-tasking. The iOS uses task-switching. . It support compared to Windows Vista/XP (multi-tasking). While Android should have had at least 7 with iOS 5.iOS doesn't even have a USB port, HDMI port, or expanded memory SD card slots! Android should have exceeded this score as high as 11 with iOS 9.nowadays more people are buying Android smartphones as while surpassed iOS smartphone sales, Apple has never had to give away free phones to build market share because the product sells itself.

Looking at the development of other OS like Windows OS, So many apps are available with Windows OS, so it has been observed that Android users are shifting towards Windows phone also. But please note that as users are not shifted towards Windows or any other OS phones. In fact most of the Android users were shifted to iOS or iPhone because of iOS unique experience. It brings lot of ideas about iOS vs Android.
    With Best Regards,

Kokil

Thank you my dear members who have furnished valuable information regarding the Apple's iOS and Google's Android. Let me intervene into the discussion with your permission, to have my notion here on this topic.

Personally, I am one of the Android users who have been relishing the amusing features of Android, since I bought my tablet.

According to me Android is still on top than iOS, with its affordability, availability and more. Here are some vital points that emphasizes my statement.

1. The iOS platform is confined to only Apple devices. where as, Android is available on many devices by diversified manufacturers, including Google, LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony, ASUS, and many more.

2. The market share of Android is also more than iOS. According to sources, the figures are: 75% of smartphones run on Android, while only 14.9% of smartphones run on iOS in North America.

3. There is a lot of Customizability in Android compared to iOS.

4. The widgets available on iOS are less to that of Android widgets.

5. Also, most of the Apps available on Apple app store will not come at a free of cost. But in Google Play store of Android, you can download a lot of premium Apps for free.

Regards,
    M Suman Kumar

Dear Kokil Kumar Sarma, I agree with you but the devices which run on iOS platform are not available at affordable cost. Buying an iPad or iPhone is still a dream for even a mid-range people.

There is a tough fight between these two platforms in various aspects. Though iOS possess unique features, it can gain much popularity than Android only if Apple slashes the price of their devices.

If you talk about the latest version of Apple's OS, iOS 7. It excels Android with some new features like Lock Screen, Notifications, Navigation, Control Center, AirDrop for iOS, and smarter multitasking and more. But the matter of the fact, which you can't deny is that Apple has pulled some inspiration from Android.

However, there exists some disappointing factors in the new iOS 7, that are
    1. There is no major improvements to Siri.
    2. keyboard with same look.
    3. No user-definable default apps
    4. No third-party sharing and more.

We can expect lot of exciting features in Google's next Android version. So, I support Android rather than Apple's iOS.

Regards,
    M Suman Kumar

There will always be arguments and counter arguments; but for me the iOS is superior to the Android in more ways than one. I have valid reasons to substantiate my view.
    I begin with the absolute mundane and move on to more technical stuff to prove my point -
    1. There are a multitude of products and choices available to the iPhone user to accessorize their device. Cases in neoprene and leather, and a choice of soft or hard cases. You also have a range of computer and ordinary chargers to pick from. You can get keyboards and docking stations all from the Apple brand.
    2. Unlike Android which relies on everything to be synched to the cloud, the iOS does not require an iCloud. Which means you can still use your phone without a Gmail account.
    3. Experience with the apps on iTunes App store is far superior to Android Market (Google Play). The user base for the iOS is far reaching and developers tend to develop apps for iOS managed gadgets before designing stuff compatible with the Android.
    These are reasons enough for me to cast my vote in favour of the iOS.

A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak!
    Take Care
    Juana

Hello everybody
    I would like to share my experience with the two OS too. Although there is no doubt that iOS is hailed as the ultimate in mobile OS, Android is not very far behind.

I personally feel that iOS has the best, smooth interface among mobile/tablet interfaces and the icons are very well laid out which feels like heaven to the first time Smartphone users. However after some time the lack of customization will get to the somewhat experienced users. Android users on the other hand can customize their homescreens as per their need, choice and well, they can even emulate the Apple iOS if they are really good with it. As I am interested in stock markets, I have a little stock market ticker in my home screen and whenever I want to know the latest in stock markets, all I have to do is look at my phone.

The lack of games and applications in iOS also gets to one's nerves. After paying a hefty amount for an iOS phone, I seriously doubt that most of the people would like to pay for each and every application they want in their phone. With Android however one can get absolutely anything! And since Android market is open sourced, there is no limitation to apps and games one can download for their devices. High end games and apps do release for iOS initially, however they know they can't ignore Android and sooner or later come with an Android version. For instance we had to wait for a complete week for the latest temple run game but it did land in our phones too. Also some apps like Siri, which is exclusive with iOS has its own share of clones for Anroid like Iris etc.

Hence I feel that Android is far more suited for me and many others than iOS.

Once again thanks Sharma and Suman for meaningful material about iOS and Android. Now I post the new feature and improvement of iOS and Android.
    Both iOS and Android has platform to receive a goody-bag full of new features. Android version of Google Plus offers a new stream design for both comment and swiping through photo albums
    Both the iOS and Android app now have the ability to volume adjustment for community posts in your home stream. In Android, version 3.6 and iOS latest version both have free downloads facilities from their respective application stores. Some another features of iOS and Android are given below.
    • Ink Signature Tool
    • Send for Signature
    • Comment:
    • Forms Fill:
    • Notification Center
    • iMessage
    • Newsstand
    • Game Center
    • Grouped notifications
    • Standard messaging; third-party apps (Kik, GroupMe)
    • Sharing an original Android feature; status updates via apps
    • Third-party apps

Ok I hear everyone who says iOS works only with iPhones. True; I couldn't disagree on that! The problem I have with the Android OS is that even though upgrade of the OS is possible there is no assurance that the same will be compatible with the phone's memory or processor.
    The second issue is it's difficult to differentiate between the gingerbread, ice cream sandwich, éclair; while with iOS you can recognize the versions thanks to the easy numbering.
    What I am trying to say is a new OS released for Android does in no way assure it will work a phone; because different devices have different processors, RAM and storage that interfere. With the iOS on the other hand there is no such problems; since Apple manages all the hardware and software.
    With the Android OS you are never sure when you’ll receive an update nor if your service provider will provide it. There is no reason to worry with the iOS as users automatically receive the update once it is released.

Take Care
    Juana

Thanks to Mr Phagu, Mr Suman, Renin, Juana Maam. All of you have represented some excellent points. I must appreciate Juana Maam for highlighting some excellent points. I do agree with all the points you have made here.

We should always look at quality, not quantity. Apple is famous because because of its quality products, and thus iPhone and iOS is. Mr Steve Jobs established the Apple brand in front of the world with a huge success. The most important part is the brand value. We can't deny about the brand value of IOS and Apple products. That is why iOS is accepted globally.

With Best Regards,

Kokil

@Juana,
    1)The good point you have mentioned that iOS does not require an iCloud. But don't you think that it is a weak point of iOS phones? Cloud computing and cloud storage are today's need and if you are not taking benefit of it, then iOS is lacking behind in technology. Keeping phone synced is always a better way to keep our data safe.
    2)Another point is that, iTunes is a paid service. It is one of the biggest disadvantages for consumer. Consumers don't like to pay for downloading and listening songs. Android OS does not charge for downloading songs, we just need a good data plan for downloading songs and it has nothing to do with Android OS.
    3)I think mobile case is not a big deal. There are many of good mobile case available for android phones.

@Kokil Kumar Sarma,
    1)I appreciate that 93% iOS users have updated iOS. The reason why all android phones cannot upgrade their OS is given below: -
    Number of Android users is very high around the world. OS up-gradation means adding extra features in it and it requires high level of hardware to work efficiently and smoothly. If all handset manufacturers start providing upgraded version of Android OS, then they need to use high level of hardware in all their handsets which is impossible. It will increase the price of mobile handset. But, the high range and some mid range handsets having facility to upgrade their OS. Apple iPhone is actually a high level handset; if they start manufacturing low budget iPhones then I am sure that iOS7 won't work smoothly on it.
    2)The applications you are talking about are available in Android market.
    3)There is one more thing in Android OS is that, if user doesn't like the default features and the application in his/her handset, he can actually root his/her phone. Accessing system files and changing it with another file means Rooting. These files are easily available on internet, which are manufactured by various developers. By rooting your phone you can any Android version in it.

My dear friend, I am totally disgree with your statement that only Apple iPhone are quality product. Samsung NOTE 1,2, Samsung S1, S2, S3 and S4 are quality product and are huge hit. If you check the sell of android phones over iOS phone then you will get the exact idea about it.

Thanks,
    Mahesh
    "Technology is today's need. Learn it as much as you can!"

My special thanks to all above members, who have contributed their part. You can say that again! Ms. Juana (There will always be arguments and counter arguments). Now, I would like to conclude my arguments in a lucid manner.

As I said earlier, for me Android is superior to Apple's iOS. I know that iOS has been heaved up with unique quality, but what's the use if you have to pay a penny for each and every thing? There is no point in having quality without affordability. Also, the maintanence cost of Apple smart device is much more than Android devices ( Don't forget that I'm speaking Indians perspective; It may be above par in forgein countries).

So my conclusion is that, both of the platforms have their own predominance in various aspects. Apple's iOS is highly recommended for the man of means. Where as, Android is mostly best suited for all kind of people.

Thank you very much to all who have respected my points and to the opposers as well. I had a great discussion with you all. Hopefully, let's meet in the forthcoming GD's.

Regards,
    M Suman Kumar

@Mahesh Gaikwad,

Both Android and iOS have ups and downs. But it seems you are pointing out the downs of iOS. Android is the free and open minded OS for mobiles. I am an iOS lover but it does not mean that I hate Android. Unveiled in the year 2007, the first Android Smarphone was sold during the October 2008. Android comes out with updated version every year with an alphabetical order. Android is popular as it is a free and open system. Because of its free in nature, users can download and replace their original launchers and change it to something they desire. It is available with various phone manufactures from low range to high range and just allowing people to have just a Smartphone. But malaware are found in apps of Android. So free is not everything in the world. Moreover fregmentation lags and ads are present everywhere in free apps.

With Best Regards,

Kokil

I can understand many concerns here about Android especially by Juana. It is and I would like to emphasize it, much simpler to use an iOS device and owning an iOS device would save a considerable amount of headache. As you have put, updating the software is a breeze, the apps and OS always matches with the device screen and specs as Apple controls every aspect about the phone. It however gets very monotonous after using an iOS device especially to youngsters and anyone who feels he or she is a bit expert in handling smartphones.

The FREEDOM and the FREE apps that Anroid offers are something any youth could not resist. As we use each and every free moment with the Smartphone to find new ways to increase our productivity or get ourselves entertained which is possible through the FREE Android Market and not the costly iTunes. Also Since PC is more prevelant than Macs, it is a nightmare transferring files to an iOS device. As Mahesh has already put, Android provides Rooting option so that you can customize your phone as you like so that you don't have to look at the same old interface(with minor mods) the whole life.

I would like to conclude tht iOS is more for people who are concern about the safety of data, looking for looks and would like a device which is easy to operate.

Android is on the other hand is for people who are more daring, are open to the idea of learning more about their devices and want to constantly experiment. Not for the frail in heart!

@ Mahesh
    Well! Technology does have a bright side, but let's not forget the unforeseen threats that linger. Cloud computing is a potential threat. Your information can be accessed by anyone. With the US now wanting to create a database on everyone across the globe, how long your personal cloud space remains personal is anyone's guess. Servers are based in the US, so technically all material accessible through them falls under US law.
    Technically your data will have to be in line with US laws.
    We all know how Cisco remotely updated routers, making users use only what the company permitted.
    There are other reasons why cloud computing is not such a great idea –
    1. It makes you completely dependent on the internet. A power outage, change in internet using policies etc will have a bad affect.
    2. You rely completely on your service provider.
    3. There is the fear of hacking.
    Your point about cases - If you'll note I began with saying I'll discuss the mundane first. Agree cases are just that - cases! But then for everything there is always an alternative. My reason for stressing on the cases is the brand value attached. With Apple products you are looking at a renowned brand. For anyone who is quality conscious a branded case makes all that difference. Further you do not need to go surfing the net/stores to find a case you like. With Apple products you are offered a one stop shop. It is all about luxury and lifestyle, but then why not. As a consumer one deserves to be spoilt.
    I’d like to wrap up by saying my vote still goes to the iOS. I like the closed ecosystem on the iOS. There are fewer instances of virus and malware attacks. Chances of hacking are also greatly reduced.
    The fact that it is not possible to “brick” it makes it a clear winner for me. If an Android device is bricked you have no other option than to chuck it. With an iOS device you have the option of retrieving data by going to the Device Firmware Update (DFU) and restoring the gadget.

Take Care
    Juana

@Kokil Kumar Sarma
    My dear friend I never said in my above comment that I hate iOS. I had just explained the things which are available in iOS also available in Android OS and some advantages of Android OS over iOS. I am a technology lover, I don't hate any of the developed technology in the world, I just pick the best one out of them.
    Th malware and virus are all over the web. While installing any app or software we need to check if the developer can be trusted or not. You can easily identify if the app is good or bad, by reading its comments and number of downloads.

@Juana
    Hello,
    1)You are saying that Cloud is not safe and data can be accessed by anyone. But we all are using internet and everyone has their email accounts. The data from email accounts also stored somewhere on the internet and that can also be hacked. Cloud storage is for our convenience and if we trust email accounts and other data storage systems on the internet, then why not cloud?
    2)Case is used to protect Mobile and it has nothing to do with iOS or Android OS.

Thanks,
    Mahesh

@ Mahesh! You said it. Nothing is secure, and that is exactly my point. Storing data on cloud can be detrimental to your security. If cloud offers convenience it is also susceptible to major risks as listed above.
    "Case" is relevant to iOS because it offering protection to devices with a specific operating system.

Take Care
    Juana

@Juana
    You are specifically said that cloud storage is a not secure. I am just justifying that if cloud is not secure the neither the email and other account too. But still we are using internet. Then why the cloud storage concept invented? Cloud storage is today's need and it is made for our convenience. If we don't take the advantage of it in our smartphones, then we are lacking behind.

Thanks,
    Mahesh

Yes, and I am reminding you of the fact that cloud is not secure, since you pointed out it as the need of the hour.
    From what I understand cloud is being used to store massive amounts of data. Some of it extremely confidential. The issues mentioned in my posts clearly shows how "not safe" it can be.
    Every thing made for our convenience need not necessarily be perfect. The developers of iOS must have certainly put a lot of thought while designing it. Apple is not a big name for nothing!

Take Care
    Juana

@Mahesh Gaikwad,

No one can compare iOS with Android in terms of security measure. iOS is always best and known for its security reasons. The free is always free and it's not reliable at all. People across the world are not fooled as they are investing thousands of dollars in Apple iPhone. There must be something special with it and we are trying to express it out.

With Best Regards,

Kokil

@Juana and Kokil Kumar Sarma
    It is not compulsory to sync your phone in Adnroid OS smartphones. If the user doesn't want to sync his/her phone then he/she should not sync it. The sync is required to access 'Goolge play store' which is a app store, nothing more than that. Even by syncing your Gmail account, we can backup of your contacts directly to the Gmail account.

Thanks,
    Mahesh

@ Mahesh!
    Is this a good thing? I don't think so.

Since cloud is an optional service and in your words "the need of the hour" would it not be expected that the Android OS provides some sort of guarantee with regards to the security of the data saved on cloud. So it is a use at your own risk feature. In my opinion this feature holds no good. With an optional service the onus is always with the person who chooses to go with it.

An assurance of security is of prime importance. Here I am not talking of unforeseen risks. I have already highlighted all perceivable risks that are right there in your face.

Take Care
    Juana

Both iOS and Android are the most popular operating systems used in the smartphones. Their popularity is known by the sales of the smartphones, which use these operating systems to run them. But we must remember that the use of iOS operating system is limited only to Apple's iPhones and iPads. On the other hand, Android is used by many smartphone makers of the world. The best example of maximum usage of this operating system is the Korean smartphone maker giant Samsung. Samsung continuously keep on making one smartphone or the other using Android OS. So much so that Samsung has become the largest smartphone makers in the world. Should we say that Android is better OS than IOS just because it is being used in the largest number of smartphones in the world? The answer is definitely and emphatically 'NO'. We must realize that even though iOS is used only a few devices of Apple, but they have become one of the largest selling devices in the world just because of the iOS used in them. This is the way to look at the comparison of the two operating systems. This clearly reveals that iOS is the better operating system which could make its niche among the operating systems of the world, in spite of its being used only in a handful of Apple devices.
    "Teaching is my passion & sharing of knowledge is my motto"

Sukhdev Singh
    Lead Editor & Platinum Member at ISC

Congratulations to the winner!

I fail to understand why such haste has been shown in picking a winner. The competition is open for almost another 4 weeks. How can a winner be declared so much before the closing date of the competition.

As per the thread the competition closes on 20 July, 2013. This is clearly indicated in "bold" in the title and subject of the thread. Where is the confusion?

Is there something about the system that I don't understand.

Take Care
    Juana

@Juans: "right there in your face", What does that mean? I don't understand. Why are you so aggressive? Calm down. It is just a GD and I am expressing my views.
    Thanks,
    Mahesh

@ Mahesh!

"Right there in your face" is a figure of speech. There is no aggression intended.
    The use of the phrase is not directed at you per se. I should have perhaps written "the" instead of "your".

Take Care
    Juana

@Juana,
    I do not see any winner that has been selected for the contest so far. There is no announcement made to this effect. Are you confusing the best answer with the winner. The best answer has no relevance to the winning of the contest. Even, you can mark your response as the best answer. The winner will be selected only after the last day of the contest. The best answer does not carry any monetary significance. Anyone, including you can chose someone's or your own as the best answer. This option is visible even to the giver of the response unless the web management takes action not to make this option visible to the member who makes a response. I do not know who has marked my answer as the best answer, but it does not make me the winner if you have thought so.

"Teaching is my passion & sharing of knowledge is my motto"

Sukhdev Singh
    Lead Editor & Platinum Member at ISC

The GD competition is on till the 20th of July'2013. We haven't selected the winner yet and the best answer option will not decide the winner.

So Keep posting!!!

Considering all the arguments put forward so far, I still support Android over iOS because of the following reasons:
    -It is easier to maintain quality for small quantity, but the true test is to maintain the same level of quality for a large quantity. iOS only serves Apple products, whereas Android serves variety of smartphones.

-A middle class person will think twice before buying an Apple product, purely because of the high price of the product and also because of the price he/she has to dish out for basic apps and iTunes for use on iOS. So, not only is the product highly priced, even the maintenance of iOS is pretty expensive. If iOS is so expensive only for Apple smartphones and tablets, I can imagine how costly their maintenance will be if iOS is to be expanded to non-Apple products.

-Many people argue that for better quality and security, one has to pay a heavy price. But, I haven't read about any major security issues with Android smartphones that are being used by millions of users (poor, middle class and rich).

-It is one thing to reach out only to a certain section of people and another thing to cater to the needs of every class of people. Android smartphones meet the demands of all types of people, unlike iOS smartphones. To be termed successful, a particular OS or smartphone has to be liked by all classes of people. iOS smartphones or tablets completely fail in this regard.

-Android platform is more user-friendly than iOS platform. My 12-year old nephew was able to easily download songs for his Samsung tablet, whereas my 15-year old cousin faced difficulties in downloading songs for his iPad2.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't aware of this new feature.

I have the following to add in support of the iOS –
    Each new version of iOS released by Apple is instantly accessible to every device supported by it. There is no waiting time or series of tests. This sure is one big brownie point!

On the contrary when a new version of the Android is launched it requires undergoing several stages of trials and approvals from companies making devices compatible with the OS. That is not all for even wireless service providers need to test the OS and give the go ahead before it can be made available to Android users. For instance it took over six months before the "Jellybean" was made available to Verizon Galaxy Nexus users. I'd get a new device in this time.

Take Care
    Juana

Hi Bhakti,
    Thanks a lot for sharing features of Android OS.

Few more features I need to tell you guys that,
    1) Android OS is open source software that is freely available for modification. You can develop and add extra features in it (For that you need to have idea about development). There are thousands of custom Android OS available on internet. You can easily install on your handsets. Apple iOS is licensed by Apple and not available for anyone for modification.
    2) There are third party launchers available. These launchers add all sorts of extra features to the home screen. It will completely change the look and feel. You will feel like having a new featured phone.
    3) You cannot increase you memory in iOS where Android supports external memory cards. It's very easy to remove and add memory cards.

Thanks,
    Mahesh

@Mahesh,

Don't go always with free, as free things have disadvantages and it may damage due to various security reasons. As said earlier Apple iOS made for standard people who really understands the quality and comfort. Comparing iOS with Android is similar like comparing Mercedes Benz with Maruti. So just imagine you are saying about Maruti against the Mercedes Benz. Hope all the members have understood my point. So think once again while comparing Android with iOS.

With Best Regards,

Kokil

Hi Kokil,
    Any sensible person (poor or middle class person) would prefer a Maruti and buy a house to live in with the amount he has to dish out to purchase a Mercedes Benz car. It is one thing to build great features and another thing to make it accessible for the common man. If common man is not able to make use of the features, then, that car or in our case that OS is a complete waste. Another comparison would be normal schools and international schools. International schools offer several good things which are not offered by normal schools, still most of us prefer to send our kids to normal schools because not all things offered by international schools are required for a child's upbringing. There is a difference between want and necessity. I am not aware of any one feature of Android, where it fails significantly and iOS succeeds. Agreed iOS offers few unique features, but what's the point if their target is only Apple products and not the entire smartphone and tablet community. People who cannot even dream of buying an Apple iPhone, have been using cheaper Android smartphones without any problems. I myself am using an Android smartphone for last 3 years without feeling the need to switch to iOS phone. It is important to understand what is the need of people. Basic requirements have to be fulfilled, luxuries can always wait.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

@Bhakti:- Absolutely correct statement you had made, "Basic requirements have to be fulfilled, luxuries can always wait". No doubt but I agree with you. Thanks a lot for making it simpler
    Thanks,
    Mahesh

That is the main point my dear Bhakti and Mahesh. The poor and middle class can buy the Maruti or Android does not mean that Maruti/Android is the best. Here we are repeatedly talking about quality. And some of us not able to sense the quality standard. Free or cheap do not mean the best, if we cannot afford to buy products with proper quality, then we should not go for free or cheap things. Because so many concerns like security and all are involved with this. So trying to establish them as the best is meaningless. That is what we are debating about and saying the quality and standard product iOS is the best. Please note that quality is never compared with anything.

People have own choice what to use as per his ability. That does not mean that that will be the best and standard in that particular category. But it will be wrong if we forcefully establish that to be the best. That means we should have the sense of quality. Hope you guys understood my points here.

With Best Regards,

Kokil

@Bhakti:- Absolutely correct statement you had made, "Basic requirements have to be fulfilled, luxuries can always wait". No doubt but I agree with you. Thanks a lot for making it simpler
    Thanks,
    Mahesh

Bhakti your well elucidated examples just prove my point - the two OS do not belong in the same league. When we compare a Maruti (Android OS) to a Merc (iOS) we know there is no comparison. It is an admission that the Merc (iOS) is far superior to the Maruti (Android OS) which is a universally established fact. The Maruti is affordable yes, but affordability does not necessarily translate to quality. If affordability were the only criteria to judge performance then everyone would be putting their children into corporation run schools. But that is not the case, because quality steps in.

The iOS services a select faction and does it without playing up or malfunctioning. The same cannot be said about the Android iOS! With the latter every new version needs to be tried and tested. It needs service and device provider approval. As a consumer I wouldn't want a constant doubt - will a new application work for me?

With the iOS I know there will never be such uncertainty. The Android iOS lacks in this respect and this makes it worse than it iOS; does it not? With the Apple OS you know the limit of compatibility is already set. With the Android OS there is no surety. While the Apple product assures unhindered functioning the Android has us grappling for answers. It all comes around a full circle. The Android which is touted as being accessible to a majority is actually not so because you still have to figure out if an application will work with your instrument/service provider. It involves a lot of unnecessary running in circles in the name of affordability. I'd rather get what I pay for and that is why chose the iOS.

Take Care
    Juana

Hi Juana and Kokil,
    I fail to understand one simple thing: how can any OS be termed as "best" that once did not offer one of the most basic service like downloading songs for free. You cannot judge the quality of an OS till it is compatible on several smartphones. iOS fails big time because it is only compatible for Apple products. It is like designing Mercedes Benz only for Express ways. Any OS can prove it's quality only when it performs uniformly on variety of smartphones (i.e. quantity) offering atleast basic features and apps for free (that are offered for free by other OS).
    Despite my earlier query, no one has been able to raise a single feature that iOS offers on a grand scale, where Android has proved to be a total failure. So, there is no justification of comparing an iOS to a Mercedes. It is like day dreaming without actual facts. It is a known fact that maintaining quality over a small quantity is very easy (and that is what iOS does), whereas the most difficult part is maintaining quality for large quantity (and that is what Android does). I have now raised enough open points against iOS and I don't see a point in adding more points till each of the above point raised by me is closed by a corresponding feature offered by iOS (which all of us know is not possible).

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

@ Bhakti,

The one thing that life has taught me is that nothing comes free. There are two principles involved in sops offered to lure customers. Either the quality of the free item is grossly inferior or the free bit is charged for in the price.

Taking a cue from you I cannot fathom how anyone can term the Android OS as better than the iOS when it is nothing but an imitation.

• The iOS was developed for smartphones way before the Android OS was even conceptualized.
    • That's not all, the iOS introduced the Proximity sensor first.
    • Multi touch screen was again initiated by the iOS.
    • The iOS was also the first to introduce the accelerometer.

The iOS has apps still not available on Android. In fact a large number of app developers test their work on iOS versions first. For instance Instagram was first released on iOS and Android got it much much later.

When it comes to security iOS is definitely more secure as permitted apps alone can be downloaded from the App store. Android OS on the other hand allows users to download apps from the internet making them vulnerable to attacks from viruses etc from the download.

What does the iOS have that the Android doesn't? Well the "Find My iPhone" native app. The advantage with the native app is that users can track the exact location of their device through a computer or iDevice. You are assured of not just device protection but the data stored also remains secure. Android has no such native app. What it offers is third party apps; not the same as what the iOS offers.

Would appreciate substantial evidence in favour of the Android OS, instead of generic statements on quality coupled with a lot of questions.

Take Care
    Juana

@Juana,
    It is not about what is free and what is not. Android OS has just proved that iOS makers only want to rake money from customers for features which can be offered for free. So, they have not done anything wrong in that. iOS providers wanted to create a monopoly and they have succeeded in doing that. In case of a financial crunch or need for more data (two major issues for any smartphone or tablet user), an iOS user has to helplessly buy a brand new Apple product. Exorbitant prices, inflexible memory and targetting rich class are the major flaws of iOS makers. Any amount of features that they offer can never compensate for these major flaws.

Like I said, no point having so many additional features that you have mentioned above, when your target is only Apple products. If iOS is really a big deal, their makers and developers should be able to make it compatible for most smartphones, which even you know they have failed to do. All features mentioned by you above are luxuries and Android smartphones as well as tablets are able to survive successfully without them and at the same time satisfy numerous working class users, which iOS fails to do (as they target only elite class). It won't be correct to term any product or software as "best" if some other product or software offers same services without any problem and for a lesser price (please note here I am talking about features that are same in both OS).

You continue mentioning Android users being vulnerable to attacks from viruses while downloading, but Android OS has never failed on that account. So, terming Android users "vulnerable" is completely wrong. Android users like me still are able to access the internet at will and not worry about things that iOS user feel they are secured from. So, it's a win-win situation for Android users. One has to be an all-rounder to be termed as the best in anything and as mentioned above, iOS fails miserably on several accounts.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

Apple is manufacturing only high end smartphones, they want to sell their product to those people who can afford it. They want to target rich customers. If Apple is so good then why don't they start manufacturing low or mid range smartphones? What is the point of attracting only rich people or those who can afford?
    Android know what people want and they are providing it. Even they also have high range smartphones, which are better than iOS apple phones.

Thanks,
    Mahesh

Well Apple will soon announce its low range products . As per media exclusive, this announcement will happen in coming September months. This would be the Apple's new strategy to compete with other manufacturers like Samsung.
    With Best Regards,

Kokil

@ Bhakti
    The things you stress in your argument are non specific and wandering off the point. The iOS creating a monopoly is an unreasonable statement; I see it as Apple offering exclusivity. You also contradict yourself. Let me remind you it was you who raised the point of free music download being a big plus point. Having said that I'd like to add there is no such thing as a freebie! It is a marketing gimmick which gullible people get taken in by. Giving a freebie if the product is not comparable to a better product is a lure businesses use tactically.

I'd like to keep the debate focused on specific features. When the webmaster initiated this topic I am sure she was aware the iOS is designed for Apple products. It's an established fact. If we harp on it, it's no debate really. We need to take the discussion beyond this fact.

Why is iOS more secure? Apple has strict rules in place. Take for example developers who want to get in a new app into the App Store. To begin with they have to pay a high fee to do so. The app goes through thorough screening to ensure it is without malware. Have you watched online videos specific to phone hacking? 9 out of 10 times it's an Android device. The only explanation I see is it is easy to hack!

I am no expert on the subject but this is what my experience says -

There is a marked difference in the functioning of the iOS when compared to the Android. The iOS has much smoother operation whether I am making calls, browsing or using apps. The Android on the other hand can get unresponsive, a complaint I have also heard from my spouse and others. I've never had the iOS crashing on me but the Android run devices have crashed on me.

The simple iOS interface keeps my screen clutter free. The homepage shows me all I need.

The wide range of applications gives me choice. I also know a new app will first show up on the iOS before Android circulates a copy of it.

Take Care
    Juana

@Juana:
    I feel one should try to look at the big picture. I have never contradicted myself on the free music download point and if you find important points like price, inflexible memory, lack of data sharing capability on the move via bluetooth with variety of devices, etc. as irrelevant, then, I can not challenge you. For Indian customers, price, sharing ability and flexibility are two most important factors in any product apart from it's quality (and it's not like Android offers bad quality, just to clear myself). And if iOS fails to meet 3 of the 4 most important criteria that normal Indian customers (I am not talking about rich class here who are in a minority in India) look out for in a smartphone or tablet, then, it is indeed a failure.

You are unable to think from the point of view of a normal customer. It is one thing to pay for quality features and another thing to pay for unnecessary features. People who want luxury can afford an iOS. While I write this, I have a friend sitting next to me who has two phones for usage. One is a basic Android smartphone for flexible use (ability to share ringtones, songs, photos and videos with anyone on the move) and another is an iPhone 5 for careful usage or luxury. The very fact that she is unable to trust iPhone 5 for flexible usage proves my point. Not all of us have enough time at hand to download all photos, videos and songs from specific softwares only. Many of us have less time and hence prefer OS that supports sharing via bluetooth on the move with any Android user.

I have raised enough points and most of them are still open and I can see you trying your best to avoid all of them. For example, you have not once tried to give an explanation for glaring issues like limited memory, rich target audience, small target audience, lack of data sharing capability with non-Apple products, etc. I guess I won't be able to add any further open points till any one at techulator is able to provide good explanations to so many glaring and basic iOS issues I have raised above. It is one thing to provide unnecessary features and keep boasting about them and another thing to address basic issues I have raised above. All things in life have pros and cons. It is all about having the basic requirements fulfilled and covered, and then going for additional features. Despite releasing so many upgrades for iOS and so many iPhone versions, these basic features still remain unfulfilled. No matter how many small features they provide, till they are unable to provide basic features like flexible memory, better pricing, bluetooth sharing capability on the move with variety of devices, etc., iOS providers will fail to create an impression. If they are unable to innovate and provide these basic features for such a long time, then, we have every reason to feel they are very ordinary and nowhere near the best. I hope to get some relevant answers this time round.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

@ Bhakti
    So intent are you in making snide jibes you lost track of what you said or what I've been saying.
    1. Your opening remark in the discussion was with regards to the best feature on Android being the "free apps". Reiterated in another post. Then you went on to say it is not about what is free and what is not, and a big picture should we viewed. Please paint it for me.
    2. The security apps of Android you say are "almost comparable" to the iOS. Anyone with a fair amount of knowledge would know what "almost" means. Your statement elucidates that Android is almost reaching the same security standards as the iOS, but is not quite there. How can it the best then? Isn't security among the major concerns? As long as its almost there, it is lagging!
    3. The debate from where I stand is not about the rich, the middle-class or the poor. It is about features and specifics. Quality comes at a price. Your argument is that people go for the Android because they cannot afford it. How does this lower the performance/quality/standard quotient of the iOS? It is just that it is not within the means of people. We cannot determine its features and specs based on this and term it inferior.
    4. Security issues with Android – I've explained how Android devices are shown in online hacking videos and stringent steps taken before a new app is made available on the iOS. It is obvious the Android is a soft target because it lacks.
    5. The iOS is definitely more user friendly. It is engineered such that anyone can use it without facing hitches. Android requires customization and this makes it difficult to use by people who aren't tech savvy. Illustrating abilities of cousins and nephews may be a reflection of their individual capabilities and have nothing to do with the devices in their hands. My father in law cannot work his way through mobiles/smartphones. That does not make the humble phone instrument better or the best!
    6. Maruti vs. Mercedes vs. normal schools vs. international schools. The punch goes out when we mention corporation schools. The entire equation changes, does it not? A superior thing will always remain one. It is good though you compared the iOS to a Merc. Who can question the quality and experience of driving, riding, owning a Merc. Again the debate is not about want and necessity. It is product specific. Talk of basic necessity vs. luxury is fine if we are debating an election manifesto but here the focus is on a product.
    7. Compatibility issue. The iOS does not fail big time and I vehemently disagree with your statement. A failure occurs when you test something it promises to do and it fails. It would be imprudent to pass a judgment against the iOS because it is not available for the kind of tests you want it to clear. The iOS was designed for Apple products and the company has made no bones about it. With the android on the other hand we have compatibility issues with smartphone manufacturers and service providers alike, a point covered in a post above. If you need an Android phone for certain specific actions then you need to look at specific processors (explained separately in point 10).
    8. "It won't be correct to term any product or software as "best" ...I am talking about features that are same in both OS)." The OS come as a package. You are not paying for specific features, rather paying for it as a whole. So the point you made does not stand good.
    9. It is for the user to decide whether features available on the iOS are worth it or not. It depends on specifics the end user wants. Making a statement that says, providing features for Apple products alone is of no use, is irrelevant because everyone knows the iOS was developed for Apple products. It is not something that you and I discovered in the course of our investigation. We have to debate on how good the two OS are within the set perimeters. We are not to set new perimeters to begin judging them. If that were the case the discussion has no meaning.
    10. Target audience – it's a service and it's unique. Apple does not have to make affordability and availability its USP like the Android. The iOS has a niche market which values it for what it is. If anything you say is correct the iOS would have been history by now. The Android is not as great as you make it out to be. For gaming for instance you need a high-end smartphone with quad core processor and that would cost a bomb. Affordability goes down the drain!
    11. Bluetooth sharing - The iOS has AirDrop, and that does not require devices to be even be close to each other for the transfer of files to occur.
    12. Every new app is on the iOS months before it is available to Android users. iOS upgrades are mine for the taking as soon as they are released. With the Android it is another story and I don't even want to start on it.
    13. Memory – I'll talk of it in another post.
    As of now I have answered all points raised. Some more than once! It would be nice to have the discussion steer away from class difference.
    With the Android there is an overload of unnecessary customization. I feel functionality is of prime importance than having to waste time customizing a device. Home screens get cluttered with custom ROMs and widgets and shortcuts and whatnot. Most of the time users do not know what they are doing with all the clutter.
    iOS on the contrary is intuitive, quick and simple. Look at the homepage. It displays all your bookmarks, apps and stuff.

Take Care
    Juana

@Juana:
    Your answers above brought a big smile to my face. I am still waiting for relevant answers and hope someone supporting iOS will be able to provide me the same. I still feel you don't read entire messages and hence you mentioned about AirDrop, whereas my point was about sharing data across variety of devices. If you choose to analyze a product without considering it's compatibility with other devices, it's your choice and not everyone's. You read about iOS being compared to Merc, but completely failed to read about it being a useless Merc which runs only on expressways and a good Merc will run well on normal roads, highways and expressways (again proving my point that you simply manipulate points at your own will and don't read the entire posts which is a must in any GD). Anyways, I have put forward my points and would not like to twist them and manipulate them like you have done above (You say one cannot judge on basis of something and then you yourself judge about certain things. How contradictory is that? Your talk about cost for gaming proves my point).

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

@ Bhakti,

Please stop disguising your words and referring to me as manipulative...we are having a discussion for heaven's sake. You don't want me to say anything that is not to your advantage; is that so? If I do so I am being manipulative. You are not being a fair competitor.

I have given specific replies to specific questions, while you failed to clarify any point raised by me instead get into passing personal remarks.

Your statement's are off the cuff remarks. I have made no contradictory statement. It would be helpful if you could specify instead of shooting in the dark. Each of my remark has an explanation for why I consider it.

Of course these opinions are mine, you don't have to remind me that. It is a GD and I voice my opinion as I am sure you must yours.

Though this is not about Mercedes your comment on it is completely biased. I wish you could substantiate your statement. We have Mercedes showrooms in major cities in India selling cars for the Indian roads, which we all know are no expressways.

Data can be shared with Android run devices through iOS using iScore and the internet.

Cost for gaming! I wish I knew what you were talking about. Perhaps you did not understand my point. It was berating the Android and not praising it as you wrongly understood.

Take Care
    Juana

The war between Android and iOS is a never ending topic. Most of us here said in favour of Android where as only few had posted in favour of iOS. It has been noticed that the price of iOS and many more free apps took Android for more popularity, where as because of unique design, features, quality and high brand value of iOS and Apple iPhone made this brand to become popular among those.

I must say both these two have their own advantages and disadvantages, but Apple iPhone is always comes in people's mind very first and we know what this brand is all about. Thus I would like to conclude this topic by saying in favour of Apple iPhone iOS.

With Best Regards,

Kokil

Hi all

Great to see the discussion on iOS and Android and with my experience I just wanted to share a bit of information on these two.

Though Android has advantages of free download, apps everything but many of the magazines still not support the versions of android and if we have to subscribe for that we have to pay more and so still android has not reached the minds of safe in technology users. Also recently the news on Android bug adding value to my point that Android is not safe medium for the technology users.

One can argue the safety point is applicable to all but this safety bug is different. That is vulnerable and hacking is beyond the digital signature where every other hacking will be done only through digital signature. Data can be easily manipulate and steal.

Hence as far as my usage in the view of subscribing to many magazines and read on line, I support iOS than Android.

Also with the fond attachment to the Apple and Steve Jobs and I have been using from the day of Apple Mcintosh, I cannot even think of another one except Apple products and that is iOS.

Saroja

It is a common illusion that oodles of free memory to be a positive aspect. Quite like the confusion about task killers. From what I understand all apps on the iOS utilize specified amounts of assigned memory quite like the Android.
    The good thing though is that when an app attempts to utilize more memory than what is allotted to it the iOS flashes a memory warning message. There are 3 levels to this memory warning that a user sees. This allows the user to avoid force close. What this signifies is that if the user fails to de-allocate the memory after the first 2 warnings the app will force close itself and the memory freed. The user does not have to free the memory as the smarter iOS does it for you automatically. However, you are warned before that occurs.
    The Android as we know has garbage collection, however memory leak still exists. These are also difficult to locate and repair. Apps on the Android have a heap that can increase to a significant level, but if the app attempts to improve upon this, the "Out of memory" error flashes and the app is forced closed. This happening without a prior warning according to me is a big minus point for the Android.
    The next negative about the Android is that different versions have special maximum heap size. What happens is apps do not function properly on all devices. While they work fine on some they crash on others.
    Another point I'd like to highlight here is that the heap size diminishes each time the memory is freed and can cause an out of memory situation.

Take Care
    Juana

Hello Ashley,
    This contest was supposed to end on 20th July'13 and still this thread is not locked. Can you please do the needful?

Many Thanks in advance!

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Bhakti Savla

@Bakti

She is not seen here for more than 20 days. So I hope other editors/admn can lock this thread.

Saroja

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Submit New Thread
    Return to Return to Discussion Forum