You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Windows 8

I have just gotten Windows 8. Need to install a VM for an XP application

My friend have a new Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 8. He need to install a VM so that I can install a copy of XP (which I have ready) for an app that my firm only supports in the XP environment. I followed Greg Shulz' Create a Test Machine in Windows 8 Client Hyper v but have an immediate anomaly. When I turn on Hyper V Management Tools, I can turn on Hyper V Management Tools but cannot turn on Hyper V Platform because "Hyper V cannot be installed: Virtualization support is disabled in the firmware."
    Am I screwed or is there something I can do?
    Hi Nitendra Shukla,
    You are right. You got windows 8 with you. Now you really need a virtual machine software to work both the operating system in your laptop or desktop. Be make over your RAM should be more in GB. Because when you use both the operating system, the device will get slower and it will be disgussed lot to work in your system. I suffered same kind of problem once before in my project time. So you just be careful to work with the virtual machine.

What you can try is go to BIOS setting by pressing F10 F12 or Esc or any other key you can see that on your BIOS screen immediately you power on your PC..after entering check for any Virtualization string most probably you'll find that on Security tab, if you found toggle enable or disable and if it's not present then most probably your system doesn't support virtualization.

Do share your result with us..

Hope this helps..

Do share your result..

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.