Here are the answers to your questions regarding organic food.
how organic food is produced
Organic food is the type of food that are grown without the use of synthetic process, fertilizers, bio engineering radiation and pesticides. In this type of the food, it also includes meat and processed food from fish, chicken and other animals where they are not artificially farmed with chemical influence. The process for the organic food is standardized by government controlled bodies and often there are some of the specific procedure are set. Each country has it's own way of production of organic food.
In this process the soil is properly fertilized by the organic content instead of synthetic material. Insects that benefit the growth of the soil and the crops are not killed. e.g. ladybug, green lacewings etc. Crop rotation method is utilized to preserve the soil nature. Other practices such as buffer zones, cover crops are employed to keep the process as organic as possible. This whole process is governed by organic farming standards.
why it is expensive compared to other types of food
There are plenty of reasons why the organic food is expensive than the processed food. Most obvious reason being the consumer demand for the processed and frozen food has reduced the price of the commercial non-organic food. That doesn't affected the pricing of the organic food from economy point of views. So many other variables goes on for the price of the organic food being high.
Some of the reasons are as follows -
1. Organic food makes use of less chemicals, thus increasing in more labor for protection and growth of crops.
2. There is more demand for organic food than the supply from the farmers.
3. Fertilizers and pesticide methods for organic farms cost more money.
4. Crop rotation process reduces production of certain crops during rotation period.
5. Post harvest and preservation costs more than chemically processed food.
6. In case of country like India subsidy is very low for organic farming.
7. Organic farming takes time so the growth is natural and hence affects supply demand chain.
These are some of the reasons why the food eventually becomes expensive. And very few farmers choose to have the organic food over chemically processed food.
advantages and disadvantages organic food with respect to your health
Organic food has gained a lot of popularity lately. And the reason being obvious as it is good for health and environment. Here are some of the advantages of the organic food.
1. Organic food is good against health issues such as cancer, heart issue, blood issue. And often doctors recommend organic for those who have suffered due to processed food.
2. Organic food production process does not affect natural food order due to chemicals. So the food created is environment friendly.
3. Taste of the organic food is much better as it preserves natural sweetness.
4. The food is also good for those who want to maintain weight.
The organic food has it;s issues and it's not completely rosy side either. Some of the issues are as follows -
1. Lack of preservative methods limit the storage for the organic food. So stock has to be finished or have to be preserved with alternative means for long term storage.
2. Geographic limitation stops the organic food from growing and preserving in some places. Weather plays bigger role in the growth of certain foods within region.
3. It is expensive for even smallest possible vegetable price. This makes it harder for low budget buyers to purchase the food.
4. Organic food can not be exported hence there is very less export demand as it lacks the preservation to keep the taste.
These are some of the issues that stop the organic food from competing with the processed food.