|Author: Timmappa Kamat 13 Jun 2016 Member Level: Platinum Points : 12 (Rs 12) Voting Score: 0|
Samsung Galaxy S Duos 3 is not receiving official update to Android Lollipop. You will need to root your device if you want to install Android Lollipop using any custom ROM.
If you are willing to root your phone, here are the steps on how to achieve it.
1. Make sure your phone has at least 70 to 80% battery.
2. Take a complete backup of all your important data.
3. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do that, go into settings and then into Developer Options. You should see the tab for USB Debugging. If you cannot see Developer Options, go into About Phone and tap on the Build Number 7 times.
Steps to root
1. Download ODIN on your PC. You may get it from the link http://www.androidrootguide.com/list-android-custom-roms-official-roms-root-software-download-links
2. Download Galaxy S Duos 3 Root Package You can download it from above link.
3. Download Kingoroot.
4. Extract the ODIN zip package downloaded above and install it on your PC. Extract Galaxy S Duos Root Package and save the Sduos3ROOT.tar file to your PC.
5. Switch off your device and boot into download Mode. To do this, press and hold Power, Volume Down and Home buttons simultaneously.
6. Once the device boots into download mode, connect it to your PC using USB cable.
7. ODIN should now identify your device and show Added.
8. Click on PDA button and choose Sduos3ROOT.tar. Ensure F.Reset Time and Auto Reboot options are enabled on your ODIN.
9. Click on START to flash the device. Once flashing is done, you will get the PASS message on your ODIN.
10. Close ODIN and install the Kingoroot you downloaded above. Open the program. Click on Root to begon rooting your device. Once done with rooting, your device should reboot automatically.
That's it. You have successfully rooted your phone.
You may need to install Custom Recovery to be able to install a custom ROM on your phone. To do this, you need to follow these steps -
1. Download Galaxy S Duos 3 CWM recovery zip package to your PC.
2. Extract and save recovery.tar.md5 to your PC.
3. Follow the steps 5, 6 and 7 as in the above tutorial.
4. Click on PDA button and choose recovery.tar.md5. Ensure F.Reset Time and Auto Reboot options are enabled on your ODIN.
7. Follow step 9 above. Your device will reboot automatically.
You can now install any custom ROM based on Android Lollipop.
Please note that Rooting and Flashing custom ROM on your device is a risky process. Even a single wrong step can brick your phone. Also kindly note that rooting voids your warranty. If you do not have enough knowledge of the procedures involved, kindly do not proceed.
|Author: Mahesh 14 Jun 2016 Member Level: Diamond Points : 15 (Rs 15) Voting Score: 0|
As Samsung has stopped sending the OTA updates to the Galaxy S Duos 3 model. There is no way you can do the automated updates for the phone. Follow the steps explained below to update the device to Android Lollipop version. There are two methods to install the update.
Method 1: SmartSwitch Suite
1. Download smartswitch from this URL : http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/
2. Install the app on your PC and then connect your phone with USB cable so that app can detect the device.
3. SmartSwitch will ask you to take the backup of the phone before you initiate the upgrade.
4. After the backup you can initiate the upgrade. Click the update button from the screen. Make sure your device has some enough charge to let the device download and install the update.
5. Let the process continue and finish the installation. If this process asks you to accept some dialog and prompts then do so respectively in the same order.
6. After finishing the installation you have to reboot the device. It'll take some time to bootup and process the ROM updates.
This method is tested by XDA developers for Galaxy S Duos 3.
Method 2: Custom ROM: If you are not sure how to root your device for making custom update, then in such case you can download custom ROMs and update the device. Custom ROMs are selective for the devices and you have to find the one which works for your Galaxy S Duos 3. My personal suggestion to you is to use iroot app on your device and then install custom ROM on the device. Follow this method in order to install the custom ROM and to update the device to Lolipop.
Why this method works? Custom ROMs update the android as per their cyclic updates. And they support more devices than the OEM installers.
1. Download iroot App to root the device for custom ROM installation.
2. Download the image of Custom ROM (e.g. SlimROM, Cyanogen Mod, MiUI etc).
3. Open the device in the recovery mode and choose the custom ROM image.
4. Choose install from the recovery console.
5. Let the custom ROM finish the installation.
6. Reboot the device once the update finishes installation.
Depending on the type of the custom ROM you are choosing the installation in the recovery menu for ROM install will be different. Also try to find the ROM which is compatible with your device. Do note that if you do note know how to root the device then avoid this method. Also if you do something accidentally then it could brick your device. So use the help from the technical person while performing this method.