Yes,your smartphone performance get effected by your processor being dual core or quad core. Simply it's like the difference between two men and four men. If your work is getting done with the help of two men take more time than the work taken by four to do the same task.
First be clear that dual means two, quad means four ,hexa means six and octa means eight.
Quad core is better than dual core so if you are looking to buy a smartphone then prefer to but Quad core between dual core and quad core. The individual core in quad core can run multiple task simultaneously. Quad core has double the speed than dual core.
The dual core processor has two separate cores on the same along with a individual cache memory for them. A dual core processor performs better than a single core. Dual core processor consumes more battery compared to quad core and also gives reduced performance than quad core.
A quad core processor has chip with four independent cores. It reads and executes CPU instructions much faster than dual core.
The individual cores can allow you to run multiple task at the same point of time. It also consumes less power and gives high performance. Quad core processors works twice as fast as a dual-core processor.
Benefits of buying Quad core over Dual Core:-
1. Quad core has double the speed than Dual core.
2. Quad core processor allows you do faster multitasking.
3. It shows increased performance while running complex applications.
4. Quad core processor consumes less power.
5. When you are playing high defination games here also the quad core processor benefits you.
6. It's sometimes on your requirement that decides whether you need Dual core or Quad core since if you have excess power may be it should go waste.
7. A Quad core allows you to run latest apps.
8. If you require more power and speed combined along with a longer battery life then go for Quad core.