Ask Experts » Computers & Smart Devices » Internet, Networking and Connectivity »

Can I keep same mobile number even if I move to another state in India?

Date: 25 Feb 2013    Group: Computers & Smart Devices    Category: Internet, Networking and Connectivity   

Can I keep same mobile number even if I shift to another state in India? Does mobile number portability (MNP) work across the states? I read somewhere about the PAN India mobile number portability. Is it already in effect?

If that does not work, what are my options to retain my number when I relocate to another state?

Do you want to retain your cell number when you relocate to another telecom circle or state in India? Find out your options to keep your mobile number when you move to a different state.

Author: Sukhdev Singh    26 Feb 2013      Member Level: Gold     Points : 8  (Rs 8)    Voting Score: 0

Mobile Number Portability (MNP)facilitates the users to switch operators nation wide without losing their phone numbers. Initially, this facility was launched in the state of Haryana in November 2012. Even before the MNP was officially launched nationwide, the service providers like Idea Cellular and Vodafone had already started such services in some other parts of the country. 'Get Idea' campaign was started by Tata to woo the subscribers from the rival service providers of phones. More operators are going to start their campaign for the facility to retain their subscribers. The nationwide roll out of the MNP services will result in a severe competition among the telecom companies. The MNP facility will have more effect on urban users than the rural users because of the volatile mobility of people living in the urban areas. It is a good move for the phone users as it will put the service providers on guard to improve their services for fear of losing their customers.

Here is the procedure to switch to the new operator.

Follow these simple steps to avail of the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) facility:
  1. Type SMS(space)mobile number to 1900

  2. A unique code will be issued by the current service provider

  3. Fill an application form, mention the new service provider and the unique code given by the same

  4. The mobile connection will be switched to a new network within seven days

  5. The subscriber is charged Rs. 19 for the MNP service

Author: Syed Musaddiq Nabi Andrabi    27 Feb 2013      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1    Voting Score: 0

I think you will need to switch to roaming facility which enables a user to use the SIM card nationwide but it will cot you some extra charges and also you will first need to fill a form at the prescribed telecommunication office and the service will soon get activated for your cell.

Author: Bhakti Savla    27 Feb 2013      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

The mobile number portability facility is available across states of India as well. So, even if you move from your current state to another state, it is possible to retain the same mobile number as now. This can be done by informing the mobile service provider about it and sending a few SMSes.

Author: Aamir shahzad    11 Mar 2013      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Hi member,
I think you are talking about Mobile Number Portability (MNP), which facilitates user to connect with the people by the same number but different network services. For example if some company is offering good call package then user can shift to that provider with the same number. He can sue different company services through this facility.
For Mobile Number Portability (MNP)Please follow Instruction

1.Type SMS and give space, type your number and send it to 1900.
2.You will get a unique code by the service provider.
3.Fill application form, where you can put new service provider's info and mention unique code in the given place.
4.The number will move to another network in seven days after confirmation.
5. You will be charge Rs.19 plus tax for this request.
If you face any problem please make a call to customer service center.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...